December 21, 2016

C&C on the Move

This past weekend we traveled to McCall, Idaho to participate in the two day Northwest Passage Ski Mountaineering Race. Friday's race consisted of a 1600ft vertical race and Saturday a traditional ski mountaineering race with 5500 ft of vertical. 

The weather was so brutally cold that I didn't get any photos from the mountain. Here's a shot from the lodge. I ended up purchasing this Mammut skirt Friday prior to the race just to keep my tush and legs warm over my race suit....it was THAT cold. 

Here are a few shots from Friday's vertical race. I'm at the base of the climb to the far left. It wasn't a stellar performance, but given my lack of training, I was just happy that I didn't finish last. 

 This look is called "cold, tired and I live at sea level".

Saturday morning the temperatures were reading as low as -27 on our car, and at the start the temp was still ten to twenty degrees below zero. My younger self would have joined my amazing and slightly crazy husband....
photo courtesy of Eric Hoff

But my older, wiser self decided to stay in the warmth of my cozy bed at the Shore Lodge. Let's talk about the Shore Lodge. I had not stayed in this hotel in well over a decade, and only in the summer, so I didn't have any expectations going into it. 

The Lodge sits right on Payette Lake with spectacular views. Here are a few photos I took. 



And some from the hotel's Facebook page. The lodge in winter...

And in summer.

The cozy fireplace in the lobby.

And one of the rooms. Did I mention how cozy the beds were? I'm very particular about bed linens, pillows and mattresses, and these did not disappoint!

From the moment we arrived we were treated with only the highest level of service and hospitality. At the check-in desk they had a tray with a caprese bruschetta (which the second night was a pastry puff filled with a tasty fruit compote). Each night at turn-down we found a freshly baked treat next to the bed (oatmeal raisin cookie and rice crispy treat). Our dog was welcomed to the hotel with a food and water bowl and dog biscuits. And every....yes EVERY member of the hotel staff that we encountered was friendly and helpful. I would easily equate the level of service to that of the Ritz Carlton.

Friday before our race the Mini and I decided to check out the heated outdoor pool.

We had a great time swimming despite the crazy cold temperatures.

At the end of our very short stay (2 nights), the Mini said "I really like this resort. Can we come back here again?" Of course my heart will always be in my hometown of Sun Valley, but McCall and the Shore Lodge has made an imprint that will have us coming back for more. I didn't even have a chance to visit their incredible The Cove spa, so a return trip is definitely in order. 

As far as restaurants....we went to the Fogglifter Cafe three times in two days. It reminded me a lot of Java (in Ketchum) with great coffee, baked goods, breakfast and lunch food. We also had dinner at the Salmon River Brewery. I had a delicious steak salad, and they had a great selection of beers. Stacey Cakes came highly recommended, but we didn't have a chance to get there. I guess we have something to look forward to for our next trip. 

So if you find yourself looking for a fantastic winter or summer getaway, I highly recommend the Shore Lodge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment